Monday, May 24, 2010

Things I've Learned Part 2

I think I'm going to just add stuff a little at a time as I get a chance.

While I understand that what I do isn't for everyone, I do think that most people can get a great deal of benefit out of what they find here. I believe that there is a common thread at the foundation of most effective health and fitness programs, and that common thread is the basis for the majority of the results you will achieve. Everyone will have to build upon that foundation to tailor their program to their own goals, activities, and desires.

My own program is based on the theories of primal or evolutionary fitness. What I eat, how I eat, how I exercise and live are all based upon trying to emulate how our distant ancestors lived as they evolved into humans. I also believe that what we do affects how our genes express themselves. Gene expression theory is interesting stuff. I'll get into more specifics of my own program at a later time. For anyone that wants to read more on the concept of Primal living and gene expression, I'd recommend spending some time on Mark's Daily Apple. There is far more information there than I could ever get across in this forum, or anywhere near as well as Mark does.

Okay. There is one really important thing to know about improving your health, fitness and wellness. This is especially important for those of you that are just starting out. You'd think this was the most well kept secret in the world, but it really isn't. It's there for anyone to see if they would open their eyes and look. (This is starting to sound like a bad internet advertisement, isn't it?)

Improving your health fitness and wellness is simple. As in, not complex. That's right. Not at all complex. You're not going to do it with a thighmaster, or by drinking all of your meals out of a can, or by buying any of those idiotic things you see on infomercials. You're not going to do it by buying a special pair of sneakers, or wrapping a vibrating belt around your abdomen while you watch television. We get bombarded with so much stuff that is supposedly going to make all of the difference in the world for us, that we lose sight of how simple this all is.

I didn't say this was easy, I just said it was simple. Actually, once you change your habits, it does become easy, or at least easier. The first steps are the hardest to take.

I'll write some more about each of these in the future, but here's what you really need to know:

1. Eat the right kinds of foods, and eat the right amount of food.
2. Get enough exercise.
3. Get enough sleep.
4. Live an active lifestyle, in mind and body.
5. Don't put stuff in your body that doesn't belong there.

Following these five rules is simple. There will be a little effort getting started along with some trial and error, but once you get on track, it is so much simpler than most of us realize. I think one of the reasons people fail on a health and fitness program is because it all becomes too much to manage. Too much counting and measuring and nonsense that gets old and boring and starts feeling like a ball and chain. It doesn't have to.

Okay. Enough for today. I promise I'll actually write something useful next time out!

No comments: