Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Compound it

One of the things I have really come to appreciate about Crossfit is how important the compound exercises really are. Most body building/workout programs are geared towards isolating muscle groups. This is especially true of workout machines. In the real world, our bodies rarely work that way. Our muscles work together symbiotically when we lift something heavy or walk or run...or do just about anything for that matter. If you are a competitive bodybuilder and need to isolate a muscle that is lagging, that's one thing. But for everyday people? Nonsense. Forget those stupid machines, and focus on compound exercises. I can handle ridiculous amounts of weights on a leg press machine, but my (full range of motion) squats are quite modest in comparison. Why? My back is the weak link. You will only be a strong as your weakest link, just like a chain. Work the compounds, and build your capacity in each area at the same time.

7 comments:

Katie said...

This is going to sound silly, but my ex-husband was in phenomenal shape after spending a few years as a logger. He didn't step foot in a gym. He always attributed to the fact that he was using his muscles in the ways that they were intended to, with all of the proper ones moving together to complete a 'real' task, instead of the single-muscle exercises you do in the gym.

This Crossfit thing sounds cool... I should check it out.

Anonymous said...

I'm not surprised by the results he got. When you think about it, it seems so obvious. Health clubs move people to machines so they can fill the place up with as few staff members as possible to service their customers. If you're not paying for a personal trainer at a gym, they don't even look at you....which is just as well if you ask me. About 90% of the trainers I see are a complete waste of money IMHO....but that's another topic entirely.

Crossfit definitely seems to have some roots in military style training. I haven't yet completely made the switch, but I'm heading in that direction. It's a program built for performance as well as health.

The only thing holding me back is that I would like to get over to the Crossfit gym for Olympic lifting lessons before going 100% Crossfit. They are a big part of some of the workouts, and the technique on some of these lifts takes some work.

Katie said...

Well, Tom (my ex) is in the Army, too, and you're right, there aren't any machines or weights used there. Just plain old body weight and tons of running (he used to run 18 km every day with his crew - along the beach, through the water, up sand hills... it was insane).

As for the gym... the trainers I've seen (other than one that I worked with who was absolutely incredible, cared and paid attention to you) are all too busy staring at the girls, even when they're training me. How discouraging. Listen, if I give you $65 an hour, it's like prostitution, I've bought your time.... lol...

Where's the Crossfit gym? I hope you get over there - it sounds cool.

Anonymous said...

It's across town, but they are supposed to be moving soon. I'll probably wait until they move before going. Right now, the facility has no showers, which would limit me to after work only. That just doesn't work with my schedule right now.

Kelly said...

Cross Fit sounds really cool, it has just arrived at my gym, i have been on the cross fit website too, wow it really is hard core training.

Functional training really is the way its going now !

Kelly said...

Happy New Years !!!

WpgGirl said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR'S JUSTA!!

Hope you have a great 2008!