Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Filthy Fifty

I'm not really writing about my workouts on a daily basis anymore (at least not online). I'm making an exception today. I had a leg day scheduled at lunch time today, on top of the 5k I ran this morning. I decided to do a little Crossfit workout called the Filthy Fifties. It goes like this:

For time:
50 Box jump, 24 inch box
50 Jumping pull-ups
50 Kettlebell swings, 1 pood
Walking Lunge, 50 steps
50 Knees to elbows
50 Push press, 45 pounds
50 Back extensions
50 Wall ball shots, 20 pound ball
50 Burpees
50 Double unders

I substituted a 14 pound ball for the wall ball, which was the highest the gym had, and tuck jumps for the double unders. I finished in 48:50, completely wiped out. I lost a fair amount of time walking from place to place in the gym, but to be fair, that allowed me a bit of recovery time as well. The last time I tried this workout I made it through my first 10 burpees, and had to stop. I was dizzy and nearly passed out. I waited a couple of minutes, tried again, and had the same result. I ended the workout there at the 49 minute mark. So based upon what I did today, I'm pretty happy because I've made significant progress.

This is the kind of workout that makes me love Crossfit. It clearly shows how running, although valuable, leaves a lot to be desired in terms of total conditioning. The involvement of the entire body in the metabolic conditioning process makes more a much tougher, more effective workout by far. No, I won't give up running entirely. It's just a part of my aerobic conditioning, not the entire thing.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

WOW, you are one crazy man!

I need to bookmark this workout and give it a shot one day, when im also feeling insane!