Tuesday, June 2, 2009

I need to run

I've been on and off with my running for a long time now. Trying to do metcon work on strength days gives me the opportunity to do running on what would have been just metcon days...without feeling guilty like I'm not doing challenging enough metcon work.

I want to work on getting my running up to speed. I've ordered a heart rate monitor to help me in my quest. While I think the monitor would have little usefulness if I'm sprinting or doing a serious CF metcon, I think it will be helpful for normal running/jogging and perhaps rowing. By trying to keep my heart rate within a particular zone, I would no longer have to worry about pacing my run outside. As my running fitness improves, theoretically I will run faster and longer in the same amount of time by just staying within a certain heart rate zone. That will take care of the pacing for me, and I can track my progress over time. I'd like to maybe even enter a couple 5k runs later on this summer. I've never done something like that before. It could be fun.

No comments: