Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Torturous Twenty-fives

I decided to do 20 minutes of metcon today or finish the Torturous Twenty-fives (Half of the Filthy Fifties), whichever came first. The plan:

25 Box jump, 24 inch box
25 Jumping pull-ups
25 Kettlebell swings, 1 pood
Walking Lunge, 25 steps
25 Knees to elbows
25 Push press, 45 pounds
25 Back extensions
25 Wall ball shots, 20 pound ball
25 Burpees
25 Double unders

I substituted a 14 pound ball for the 20 pound ball, because it was the heaviest the gym had. I was also going to do tuck jumps instead of Double unders, because I can't jump rope worth a damn. It wasn't necessary. I hit the 20 minute mark at my 20th burpee. When I stopped, I felt like my heart was going to jump out of my chest and run away.

I know that I've been putting a lot of effort into strength training as of late. I also think that the combination of the extra weight I'm carrying and the effect of some medication I'm taking is having an adverse effect on my metcon work. That being said, I'm going to come up with a handful of baseline metcon workouts that I can rotate through my workouts so that I can build some endurance and get myself back to a respectable spot with my metcon work. I wish I knew how much of what I've lost has to do with the medication. The weight? I'll see. I'm going to shed the fat portion of the excess weight I've gained, and I'll see what that does to my metcon. It's frustrating as all hell is all I can say...but I'm just going to keep moving forward in spite of what I see as a bit of a setback. I'll accept nothing less from myself.

No comments: