Monday, May 5, 2008

Intense workout today

I had a very intense UBWO today. I didn't do any exercise over the weekend other than walk, and I wanted to punish myself today. I succeeded. Upon completion of my UBWO, I proceeded to do the CF WOD from yesterday. IT was:

For time:
50 Burpees

Jump one foot above reach each rep

I completed that workout in a miserable time of 6:55.

The more I think about it, the more I realize I need to improve my metabolic conditioning. I did a mini-triathlon last summer, and the swimming wiped me out. While I could stand to improve my technique, it really is the total body metcon that I need to work on. CF style workouts go well beyond just running. They bring the entire body into play, and they require speed. That taxes the body in a way that running, biking, or lifting weights does not. I think metcon improvement will be that last push I need to completely normalize my blood pressure. I feel the truth in that statement. I need to go for it.

I'm going on vacation in a week, and I'm going to give some thought about how to better tailor my workouts when I return. I've got a good idea in my head, but I need to let it percolate and refine it some. With the warm weather coming, I plan to spend some additional time with outside activities too. I need to swim and get on my bike, on top of whatever else I'm doing.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

6.55 is not miserable!

Burpees are one of the hardest exercises to do, you do not have to do many before you are working anerobicaly, to do 50 in one go is something to be proud of.

WpgGirl said...

Bob - you seriously kick butt!!

I love how you are always re-inventing the wheel so to speak...figuring out what's best for you and for your body and goals.

You inspire me sire!

Just a BFLer said...

Thanks to both of you. I think the key to improving is paying attention to weak points and addressing them. Of course, that is also the hardest thing to do, because it requires an awful lot of effort. That being said, it's a lot of fun taking what was once a weak point and making it a strong point. It feels good, and you know you've earned it.