Friday, February 1, 2008

Great workout and some thoughts

I had a great UBWO today. As I wrote recently, I've got a plan to increase my weight on the bench this year, with a goal of hitting the 300lb mark by the end of the year. I'm working on a cycle that goes like this:

1st UBWO of the week: a warmup set or two followed by 5 sets of 10 reps at a single weight, and then 1-2 reps at a weight that is 50lbs heavier than the 5 set weight. Finish up with a set of 10-12 at the warmup weight. I also do a few sets of cable flys at the end of the workout.
2nd UBWO of the week: A warmup set or two, followed by 5 sets of at least 3 reps at a weight 30lbs higher than the 1st workout of the week. Follow with 1-2 reps at the high weight from earlier in the week, and then run a set of 10-12 reps at warmup weight.

In week 2, add five pounds to each set.
In week 3, add five pounds again.
In week 4, start at the weights used in week two, add 5 pounds again in week 5 and week 6. Repeat that pattern.

In six months, the workout weights will have been increased by 50 lbs in total.

After just a couple of weeks on this plan, I can already see gains. By progressing slowly and regressing backward every three weeks, the connective tissue is given the opportunity to catch up to muscle growth. The key is to get the body used to handling heavier weights. The body learns to handle heavier weights in the second workout of the week, so the increased weight in the first workout of the next week doesn't feel too heavy. Since we're targeting only three reps in the second workout, and increase in weight of 5 lbs a week is not overly taxing. Of course, at some point everyone is going to hit a wall where gains become harder to come by. I get that. But I also now realize that without a real plan such as this, strength gains were going to be a nebulous goal that I might never reach.

I'm thinking about assembling a similar workout for shoulders and squats as well. While I'm working on Olympic lifts for Crossfit, I can work to increase my max lifts on presses and squats as well. I was supposed to have done some work on that today, but I...well...I forgot. It's okay. My legs are shot after last weekend's workout.

Most people cannot understand living a BFL/Crossfit type lifestyle. Why? Because a lot of people only make temporary changes in their lives if they've gained some weight over the holidays, or are trying to lose weight for an event or some other short term/short sighted reason. They tie eating differently and/or exercising solely to appearance, and usually for a limited amount of time.

They are missing the boat. Big time. We all care about our appearance, and looking better may even be a motivating factor at times. What we really want to be is healthy and fit and strong. Every day of our lives. That is NOT a temporary fix. It is a lifestyle. It's sad that so many people don't get it.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

You have a plan !

I know that you will reach your benching goal.

I agree i want to be healthy for life not just 12 weeks. We have to adjust workouts and diets to fit our lifestyle.