Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Funny quote

The NY Times had an article on Crossfit the other day, which compared it to a cultish religion. This was picked up by Gawker, which wrote:

Crossfit, via the NYT—CrossFit is an internet-based cult of fitness for psychos, itinerant preachers, ex-killers, and crazy people of all stripes. I have met some people who do CrossFit, and they are scarily in shape and also not at all fun to be around. All you have to do is complete the psycho workout routine posted online every day. Sample, from Friday:

For time:
15 Handstand push-ups
1 L Pull-up
13 Handstand push-ups
3 L Pull-ups
11 Handstand push-ups
5 L Pull-ups
9 Handstand push-ups
7 L Pull-ups
7 Handstand push-ups
9 L Pull-ups
5 Handstand push-ups
11 L Pull-ups
3 Handstand push-ups
13 L Pull-ups
1 Handstand push-up
15 L Pull-ups

Post time to comments.

Seriously, just forget CrossFit. It will make you insane.


To which a Crossfit "cult" member replied:

Hmm...maybe the slogan "CrossFit puts the 'F-U' in 'fun'!" isn't winning over the hearts of the general population.

That quote cracked me the hell up!

Anyway, The Gawker article is kinda funny, no? Oh yeah, and kinda pathetic....because that is the way the rank and file thinks and lives. We all know the reason most people aren't in shape is because they don't want it bad enough to earn it. Then they make fun of us to make themselves feel better. Okay, I can laugh at myself too. But when I'm done, I'm going to workout and get into even better shape, while the laughers fall further into the abyss. Good times, huh?

Lower body today. I'll be hobbling around all afternoon. Yuk it up, baby!

1 comment:

Brian said...

I've commented on your blog before, and I still keep up with it via Google Reader. I've been doing CrossFit for a few weeks now - doing the WOD's every day, and I did the one you posted the other day (though scaled down a bit).

I used to be afraid of things like dips and pull-ups - now I'm doing 50+ of each exercise in a single workout. I agree with you - most people would like to look like cover models, but don't have even an ounce of what it takes to get there.

Keep it up!