Friday, March 14, 2008

The mental game

During todays workout, I accidentally loaded ten extra pounds to one side of the bar when I was benching. Upon starting my lift, I could tell something was off. I struggled, hit the pins on the way up, did another rep, hit the pins again, and, feeling weak, racked the bar. I knew I'd had a tough week and was tired, and I was sitting there thinking I've finally hit a wall. I started thinking aboout dropping my weights down and ramping them back up again to try to get over the hump. In sixty seconds, I was ready to abandon my entire plan! Then I realized the bar wasn't balanced. The total weight was less than I've done in the past. I fixed the imbalance and plowed through my workout. It really is amazing how the mind can shut the body down in an instant....or build it up.

Anyway...now I'm wondering about purposely creating an imbalance with the weights. I think that would provide one helluva challenge during a workout. Hmmmm....need to think about trying that.

No comments: