Monday, March 17, 2008

Two for the price of one

I've got two thoughts today...aren't you all lucky?

The other day, I was having a conversation with someone that was trying to convince me to commit to a pump and run, which is maximum reps bodyweight bench press followed by a 5k. When I talked about my 5k time and likely reps of BW bench, she told me that I'd do great in my age group. That's the rub. I may be chronologically in my age group, but I'm NOT in my age group. I REFUSE to let that limit me in any way, or become a crutch for a lesser performance. I think too many people settle for less than they are capable of by using age as an excuse. It's good enough for a _____ year old. I'm calling bullshit on that. I'm not doing it....not that I wouldn't get a little rise out of scorching a twenty five year old!

Next topic....I was watching television the other night, and some cutesy ad came on marketing some drug for RLS. Restless Leg Syndrome. Come on, already. Are we really getting to the point that every fucking person on this earth has some strange affliction that we require permanent medication for? The number of new "afflictions" identified by the pharma industry is ridiculous. Why don't these companies put their efforts towards development of drugs that can cure life threatening illnesses and diseases instead of bullshit made up afflictions? And I can guarantee that the vast mojority of these afflictions can be directly linked back to lifestyle. It's a piss-ass message to send. Live like a jackass....we've got a pill for that. Enough already, isnt it?

I can imagine a team of doctors and pharmaceutical employees sitting around and discussing people with IDHASS-I Don't Have Any Syndromes Syndrome. We HAVE to come up with a drug for that! That just cannot be. There must be something REALLY Really wrong with them!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I agree with you, i do not want to be average for my age, i want to push my body to its max.

BTW i make a point at Crossfit to hold a handstand longer than the others (im the oldest there !!!), come in 1st at the run or WODs, it is such a great feeling to be beating 20 year olds. My body suffers for a few days but id rather have that kind of pain than the aches and pains from not exercising.

I agree with the popping of pills, friends are always complaining of this and that, then they are off to the doc to get some pills. Mal and I were chatting the other day about the chiropractor, and that most people do not go to one, a simple re alignment can get rid of the back, shoulder or joint ache, but 90% of people would rather get a pill and mask the problem rather than dealing with it.

OMG sorry for the essay!

Kelly

WpgGirl said...

I love your Posts Bob. I agree with everything you say. I've always said that about the drug commercials....geez, I'm having a stressful day -hey, pop a pill!, boy, I sure am tired...hey, pop a pill!....man I can't sleep at night, hey pop a pill!....I have verbal diarrhea, yes there is a pill for that! lol

It actually makes me sick....I need a pill!!!!!

About the exercising....thank you for giving me an adjustment - I was having a pity party yesterday because of my age and how things are starting to hurt (knees & such) - ah, get over it Di, and keep truckin!

Thanks Bob!