Thursday, April 17, 2008

So...at least I understand

why I've been so tired and unmotivated the last couple of days. I had a cold roll in last night. I was hoping it was a bit of pollen crap going on, but no such luck. I've bailed on cardio today. I made sure I would by leaving my gym clothes at home....I don't trust myself enough to bring them in just in case.

Anyway, I was going to write that I should have taken yesterday off, but I don't think I should have. I was getting a cold anyway. What good would skipping the workout have done? I have upper body tomorrow. I'll have to see about that.

In case you can't guess, I HATE missing workouts. In fact, I've set goals for myself and a plan to acheive them that assumes I won't miss a workout. That keeps me motivated to carry on even on those days I don't feel like it. How am I going to hit a 300 bench by the end of the year if I miss this workout? I'll be a day behind in my weight progression! Some people would (and do) declare this as an obsession. Maybe. I just know myself. If I allow myself to think that missing workouts is acceptable behavoir, then I'll start missing them. Then a few more. Then a few more. Then I'm screwed. Obsessed? Honestly, most people that are fit take a hard line. You have to. To do otherwise is to give in to mediocrity and a less than fit and healthy existence. I just can't do that. I've had my warning signs. I'm NOT going to ignore them and die young.

The key is finding a balance. You need to work out enough, but still leave time for eveything else in your life. It's one of the things that has attracted me to both BFL and CF. You don't spend countless hours a day exercising. I think that's counterproductive anyway, but that's another topic.

With these toughts in mind, I've bailed on the tracker community again. Spending time on there was taking up far too much time, and I wasn't getting much out of it anyway. In fact, when I'm not at the gym working out, I don't want to think about it constantly. That can cause burnout, and it's too important a thing to allow burnout. Besides, it's gotten to the point that 70% of the tracker threads are about crap that has nothing to do with fitness and health. I wasn't on a team, and don't want to be. I wasn't getting anything out of participating, nor were very many other people. I did get some credit from someone last week for a change in their behavoir, and that was nice. But all in all, it's too much effort for little reward. Besides, most people out there really just want to hear what they want to hear, and they are going to do what they want anyway.

Enough babble for one day.

No comments: