Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Sometimes you earn your stripes

Too little sleep. Scratchy throat. Sore shoulder. Tired. Distracted. Feeling lazy. It's leg day. What do you do?

You go to the gym, and do your legs. And you feel damned good that you did. I briefly toyed with doing the Crossfit WOD for today:

Five rounds for time of:
400 meter run
95 pound Overhead squat, 15 reps

I may try that one tomorrow instead, depending upon how I feel. I'll have to scale the overhead squats if I do. I need more practice with them. Instead, today I did my squats, deadlifts, stiff leg deadlifts, weighted step-ups onto a bench, and calve raises under a heavy barbell. I'm glad I forced myself.


I'm really beginning to feel comfortable with full, below parallel squats using proper form. It takes a bit getting used to, but I'm hitting it correctly right now. This is important, because as I continue to raise the weights, that form is going to be critical.

I really can't believe how much time I've wasted over the years doing shallow, partial squats, leg presses, leg extensions and leg curls. If you're going to spend the time pounding out the reps, why not accomplish something? Same thing goes for some upper body stuff I've done over the years. Time that could have been spent much more effectively. Live and learn.

1 comment:

Brian said...

Mark Rippetoe would be proud.

1. You worked out even though you didn't feel like it.

2. You did squats and deadlifts on the same day.

3. You squatted below parallel.

4. You didn't do leg press.

Now you just need to drink a gallon of whole milk - he seems to be nuts about whole milk.

Nice job!