Friday, September 5, 2008

Anybody want to pay me?

I popped over to the BFL tracker site this morning for a look see. I used to frequent the site, but no longer. Within 20 seconds, I realized exactly why I left it.

If only I had a dollar for every woman that complained they were going to get muscle bound by lifting a few weights, I'd be stinking rich. Really. Then there are the men that have worked out for eight weeks and decided that there's something wrong that they don't look like Arnold in his prime, so they start loading up on every hokie supplement they can find.

Ladies...you don't look like this by lifting a few pounds. You get like that by injecting yourself with steroids, eating an insane amount of food, and lifting a lot of weights...and only if you're lucky.

Men...you don't all look like this, which is seemingly how you all see yourselves. The odds are, you will NEVER look like this, and really...do you want to? That doesn't mean you aren't making progress. Building muscle is hard work, and it takes time. Period.


C'mon. Somebody. Just one dollar every time somebody writes this stuff. I'll be set for life! Okay. Glad I got that off my not massive and steroid laden but not too scrawny chest.

Strength workout today, similar to Monday. Bench press, overhead press, pullups and chins, dips. I feel good.

5 comments:

Brian said...

Wow - I agree with you so much on this deal. I always try to encourage people to start working out. Of course I tried to encourage people to lift weights and actually sweat during a workout.

At my last job, there were quite a few young people. All the girls seemed to have the same problem. They all bulked up when they lifted - seemingly adding inches upon inches of muscle within a few weeks time. I got so sick of hearing it. Finally I explained to one person how that type of comment was offensive to me. I mean, I spend months and years working out hard and heavy in order to gain muscle, and I struggle to put it on. Now they're saying that doing a few squats just adds the muscle like crazy. I then explained to this person that "bulking" is the direct result of eating french fries and big mac's, and all squats are doing is trying desperately to burn off a few of those calories - and make your legs sore.

I'm through arguing, though. These days I try to explain to people what I do - essentially detailing CrossFit for them. They usually get lost on the idea of doing 100 pull-ups in a workout, and hang power cleans, or burpees.

Katie said...

If I had money I would pay you... :)

I don't EVER want to look like that woman, and as for that dude? He had NO neck... not exactly what I would call attractive... bulking up? Please! I've gained more muscle in the last year than I think I've ever actually had, and I've LOST inches... quite a few of them actually, and I'm quite alright with that...

People with excuses make me want to smack them...

Diarist said...

Tracker is great if you are a born again christian who loves guns and is into getting buff in 2 weeks.

I prefer to bang my head against the wall..

WpgGirl said...

HA HA HA

Oh Bob, you're funny.

the 1st picture...is that a WOMAN?? good lord, do NOT sign me up for that.

Kelly said...

How true Bob, i stopped by there the other day too and within a few clicks i was seeing the same thing.

Also for a fitness site they dont much about fitness.

I prefer straight talking to the point!