Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I was debating with myself

as to what my workout should be today. I was thinking about running the 3k posted yesterday, but the foot is still bugging me. Besides, I think I've been doing too much running and not enough of the metcon stuff. Then I remembered reading about someone doing their version of the Filthy Fifties recently....and I thought...yeah. That's the one. I'd last completed this one back in January of this year with a time of 48:50. The only other time I'd done it, I shut it down during the burpees.

I have to admit...a big part of me was trying to talk myself out of this one. You know what? That is EXACTLY why I NEEDED to do it. I'm not dreading my workouts any near enough. As strange as that sounds, I think anyone familiar with Crossfit workouts gets it. So...I walked to the gym, got changed, took a few deep breaths, and away I went.


For time:
50 Box jump, 24 inch box
50 Jumping pull-ups
50 Kettlebell swings, 1 pood
Walking Lunge, 50 steps
50 Knees to elbows
50 Push press, 45 pounds
50 Back extensions
50 Wall ball shots, 20 pound ball
50 Burpees
50 Double unders

I dragged my 6'3", 209 pound body to a total time, (PR) of 43:17, which is 5:33 better than my last time in January. I substituted a 14 pound medicine ball for the wall ball, and did tuck jumps for the double unders. (I did the same back in January, so it's apples to apples). I was sure I was going to obliterate my previous time, but I literally ran into a wall during the burpees. Normally, I'd run through sets of twenty five before gasping for breath. I did some tens and a fifteen, but I was really struggling. My body wanted to quit, but my mind wouldn't allow it. I plowed through, and as I lay there recovering, I chuckled as I heard Enrique Iglesias singing "you can take my breath away" on the gym's sound system, thinking I'd stumbled into the new Crossfit jingle!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

WOW thats a HUGE improvement.

I need to get back into feeling SCARED before a workout! I have never had the courage to attempt this one! lol