Thursday, July 3, 2008

It's all about power

After doing some of the Olympic lifts yesterday, I have a better understanding of just how important these power moves are to total body strength and conditioning. I'm not a bodybuilder, and I never will be. I want to be lean and strong and able to produce power. That means moving weight and moving it fast. While there are times I will go with slower movements, I can see the difference between the two, and I can feel it too. Performing Olympic lifts also shows you just how silly so many of the isolation moves really are. Based upon the soreness in my traps today, I can say just how ridiculous shrugs are. You don't need to isolate the traps. You can work them while working the rest of your body. Core strength? Yeah. You can see the difference between people that train for power and people that train for the beach. You see it in their physiques, and you see it in their performance.

Just something to keep in mind.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

You got it!!! Why waste time isolating muscles when in something like a clean and jerk will hit many different muscles all at once.

Happy 4th July to you !!!

Diarist said...

I completely agree. Isolation moves are ok if you simply want to look 'fit'.

I never see anyone else doing the lifts I do at my gym. Compounds are the ultimate in weight training, I can really feel my heart pounding afer my first lift.