Monday, July 21, 2008

What's your opinion?

Just as I finished my upper body strength training today, I began wondering whether I should take a week off from the weights entirely. I go away next week, but I do have access to some kind of gym. Maybe it makes sense to rest a bit though. The last time I had any downtime was two months ago. The shoulder is bothering me a fair amount. Maybe a week of no weight training, and then a very light week to flush everything with blood. I'm going to try to take that PVC pipe with me so I can at least work on flexibility. I'll also swim, bike, maybe get out on a kayak or do some yoga. I won't be a sloth, but a change of pace wouldn't kill me, would it?

Damn...seems like every time I start seeing some really physical changes, my body tells me it's time for a rest.

Anyway...what do you think? Rest? Go light? Forge ahead? What's your opinion?

5 comments:

Katie said...

Your body is trying to tell you something. Listen to it...

Diarist said...

I'm in exactly the same place.

I go away next week and I'm really feeling the need for a break.

I've had DOMS in my legs for 3 days and I need my asthma inhaler for some reason.

I'm taking my break, my wife had a good chat with me last night as I've not had a break for a long, long time.

Anonymous said...

The DOMS I don't mind. That's muscle pain from working hard. I've had shoulder pain for far too long, and I feel like I'm getting some tendinitis in the biceps/forearms. I think it will be good to do something entirely different next week.

The need to rest is the single, hardest thing to learn, believe and live with. I'm always worried I'll backslide too much, or being sloth-like will prove too enjoyable and I'll drift into oblivion. It's how I've ended up quitting workout every time in the past. I just need to get over it and do what needs to be done.

Kelly said...

Have a rest your body will thank you for it!

WpgGirl said...

Rest up and do DIFFERENT things like you said you'd do.....it will be good physically and emotionally.