Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The need for speed

I read Katies post yesterday about not doing the sprinting thing, and it got me to thinking. Later, I was walking up the subway steps, and I realized something. I don't move fast enough anymore. There was a time in my life that I would always run up a set of stairs, two at a time, until I reached the top. I don't do that anymore. Okay, I do walk more quickly than most people, but compared to myself in the past, I move slower. In fact, I rarely run full speed at all anymore. When I try, I realize just how slow I've gotten.

Some people would chalk it up to age and let it go at that. You know what? I don't buy it. You know why I'm slow? Because I don't move fast anymore. Period. You are what you do, just as you are what you eat. If I want to be fast, I need to be fast. I need to gallop up those stairs. I need to do some sprinting on a regular basis. I need to pick it up a notch or two or three. You don't get faster by jogging. You get faster by running.

I've got some deads and squats to do today. I think I'm going to do some overhead squats for fun too....and I'm going to run those stairs later on. Anybody game?

2 comments:

Katie said...

Justa, I hear what you're saying, but as I get older, I sometimes just have to admit that there are certain things I'm not good at. I'm not a good sprinter.

Anonymous said...

Don't get me wrong, Katie. I didn't say I'm a good sprinter. I never was. I just know I can be much better than I am right now. I want to be the best I can be.

And please with the 26 year old talking about getting older! I believe that's illegal to do before your 35th birthday at least! :)