Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Miscellany

I came across this link today about a recent study. So...kids get less active as they get older, huh?

It always amazes me when people do studies about things they already know the answers to. I mean really...anyone that either has kids or was a kid could have projected this one. Who funds these things? I often wonder whether I could actually make a living out of doing unnecessary studies like this. Why not put the money spent towards something more useful?

Okay...another rant. I'd mentioned that I had done the BFL program for some time. There is a website out there that a lot of Body for lifers frequent to discuss the program and obtain information and encouragement. For a variety of reasons, I withdrew from the site. I do occasionally go out there to read a few posts.

One of my pet peeves out there has always been how many of these people willingly buy and use a truckload of supplements. I understand that BFL is more of a bodybuilding program than a performance based fitness program. In order to enter the contest, you must use some of the EAS supps. When I did the challenge, I used the whey protein, and I still do. I use it in recipes and as a meal replacement. The rest of it? Why does anybody waste their money on it? So many people start BFL in order to lose fat and get back into shape. The diet is similar to The Zone in many ways. I really believe a lot of people fail on BFL because of unrealistic expectations. The supplements are looked at as a way to gain an edge and to make progress much more quickly than could otherwise be expected. It is exactly the type of thinking that has always made people fail at fitness and diet programs. It takes time. Your expectations should be realistic. Very few people are going to build a bodybuilders body, and yet they load up on all sorts of crap and expect to do just that. They cite research that everything they are taking and doing is safe, and really will enhance their performance. Eventually, they realize they don't look like Ahnold, and never will. They get discouraged and quit. Honestly, I just got tired of reading that crap time and time again. I was always very vocal against using supps, in the hopes that newbies would see an opposing point of view about them. After a while, you realize that people aren't going to listen to reason. They want the magic pill that will transform them overnight, followed by disappointment. Oh well. At least I can say that I tried.

It's just another thing I love about Crossfit. It's about performance and proper nutrition. There may be some people taking supps, but I would venture to say not a ton of them. It just isn't necessary. I'm where I belong now!

No comments: