Friday, August 22, 2008

Every once in a while

you have one of those days that you're about 75% through your workout and your mind starts to object.

Mind: "WTF are you doing, Justa?".
Me: "Getting a good workout in. What do you think I'm doing".
Mind: "Trying to kill us. Dude...the Olympic trials are over. Hell...The Olympics are almost over. You aren't getting on the team. The Yankees aren't looking for a new center fielder. There are no enemy troops landing on the soil of the good old USA as of the last time I looked. Would it KILL you to take it just a little bit easy here?"
Me: "You know, it just might at that. Now shut up and focus. I'm trying to set a PR here."

My workout today:

For time:
400m run

50 squats

400m run

25 burpees

400m run

50 squats

400m run

25 burpees


The last time I did today's workout was on July 8th. This came before my vacation and a month and a half of scaled back workouts and less than optimal eating. I had a time of 19:13. Today I posted a 19:04, which is just a hair better. All in all, I'm fairly pleased, but I really would like to be a lot more Crossfitter just the same!

Some observations from today:
1. Pacing is critical. I thought that I could increase the speed of the run by 1 or 2 mph over the last time I did this. I did, but it cost me on the squats and burpees. There is a science to this. I'm sure the best CF performers understand pacing better than I do. If you burn up on the run, you can't do the squats or burpees as well. If you go too slow, you take too long. I need to work on the balance...and on getting more work done in a shorter period.
2. A really challenging metcon workout will leave you with the sting and taste of lactic acid buildup in your mouth and throat. After gathering my breath and wits, somebody was talking to me. My voice was all hoarse from it. I've got a love hate relationship with that feeling and taste.
3. If I wasn't fasting today, I'm reasonably sure the patrons of my gym would have been treated to a colorful display of whatever I'd eaten so far today. I've never been this close to shaking hands with Pukie.
4. I'm fortunate that there is a fairly large area in the gym that has mats for people to work abs or stretch or whatever. It is where I go after this kind of workout to lie down and catch my breath and recover. If I tried it anywhere else in the gym, it's likely I'd have someone running over to me with a portable defibrillator. Obviously, this isn't a CF gym.
5. As tough as the workout was, I don't feel as if my fasting has had any adverse affect on me at all. That being said, I am looking forward to eating later, even though I'm not feeling famished at all.

Tomorrow is a rest day for sure.

2 comments:

Diarist said...

Gruelling workout, you've taken your time down so it is progress.

I'm with you on puking, one thing I took from BFL was doing HIIT on an empty stomach.

I'm going to have some carbs 2 hours before my epic workout tomorrow though. Just not a lot of them.

Diarist said...

I'm forever shouting at my 'weak' part of my mind..I even do it out loud now.