Friday, August 22, 2008

What's it good for? Absolutely nuthin'!

Back in my BFL days, I was weighing myself on a somewhat regular basis and attempting to measure my bodyfat percentage using both a caliper and one of those scales that claim to measure such a thing. The calipers always showed a BF level that was about 30-40% lower than the scale. I put much more faith in the calipers not just because I wanted to believe them, but because I could see and feel that the scale percentage was just plain wrong.

Anyway, the lowest weight I recorded in my log was in March of 2007 at 192.8 pounds. I seem to recall that at some point thereafter, I weighed in at 186 pounds on a visit to the doctor, but I'll go with the 193 since it is my written record.

I weighed myself this morning, and I came in at 209 pounds, which at least is down from 215 from a couple of weeks ago. At 6'3", that's not horrible. I knew I was gaining weight and wasn't overly concerned because I was on a mission to add some muscle mass and strength. I have undoubtedly accomplished that goal. But still. Depending upon which weight you take as my low point, I've gained between 17 and 23 pounds in seventeen months. There's just no way that's all muscle. In fact, I'd be thrilled if half the weight gain was muscle.

What is this extra weight good for? Nothing. In fact, all it does is hurt my performance. I'm not a big scale whore at all. Visually, I already knew all of this. I don't need a scale to tell me what I need to do.

I really believe the combination of IF and more of a Paleo style of eating will make a huge difference in my body composition. I can see and feel it already. I'll try to keep zone like in terms of caloric intake, but where those carbs come from will be mostly from paleo foods.

It will be interesting to see how all of this affects my performance as well and my body composition.

1 comment:

Brian said...

I weigh myself every single day, and I take regular caliper measurements and compare with the bf% readout on my scale (one of those cheaper Tanita scales). I agree - the scale is off high, but my measurements seem to be off low.

I'm drifting more and more towards a paleo diet. At least in thought - I want to go more and more towards it. I just need to do some research and see some practical meal plans for it to push me over the edge.

I'll say this - with CrossFit, it seems the lighter you are the better (assuming you don't lose strength). All those body-weight exercises are killer for me, mostly because I'm between the 190-200 range. The closer I get my weight down to my target of 175-180, I'm assuming my performance will improve a lot.