Thursday, August 7, 2008

I know I'm supposed to be taking it easy

but it's only a little running, right?

I thought I'd do a moderate BFL style HIIT run today, but I knew within thirty seconds that wasn't going to do it. Instead, I decided to run some splits on the treadmill. They looked like this:

Warmup jog 6mph 2 minutes

Run 800m @ 8.5 mph
walk 2 minutes @ 4mph
Run 400m @ 10.5 mph
walk 2 minutes @ 4mph
Run 800m @ 9.0 mph
walk 2 minutes @ 4mph
Run 400m @ 11.5 mph
walk 2 minutes @ 4mph
Run 800m @ 9.5 mph
walk 2 minutes @ 4mph
Run 400m @ 12.0 mph
walk 2 minutes @ 4mph

All runs were done at a 1.0 incline


This was a tough workout. The first 800m and 400m were okay. I probably could have gone faster on those. The very last 400m was a killer. I started it, got 40% of the way in and stopped. I rested a minute, started over, and got 80% of the way done when I felt I had to stop. Maybe I could have kept going, but I was having trouble keeping my pace. When your legs slow down on a track, you just slow down. When they slow down on a treadmill, you are fodder for America's Funniest Home Videos, with a potential prize being a trip to the ER. I decided I'd rather skip all that.

I finished up with some V-situps for good measure. I actually thought I'd do a little rowing too after the run. I'm a funny guy sometimes. Anyway, it was one of those days I really needed to fry myself. Mission accomplished.

4 comments:

Jlo said...

Great splits on the treadmill Bob....I'll have them planned starting next week, when I start my 10K running plan.

Keep on running!!! ;o)

Diarist said...

Very impressive..consider this workout scheduled for me too.

Kelly said...

Im going to remember this one, killer workout.

So much for easing yourself back into it!

Crazy man!

Katie said...

Way to take it easy over there... I'm glad you didn't go full steam... :P